Shout 85258 free and confidential text support service is there for moments when you are dealing with loneliness and need support to get to a calmer place.
We live in a world where we are constantly connected through technology, yet for many of us, we feel more lonely than ever.
From not getting an invite to a party, to fear of missing out when we see our friends having fun without us on social media, to being surrounded by people but feeling like you have no one to talk to. Loneliness can affect everyone at different times in our lives.
If you are feeling lonely, you are not alone. In fact, according to a report published by the government between 6% and 18% of people in the UK say they often feel lonely. In a country of nearly 68 million people, that’s a lot of people feeling this way.
There are many reasons you might feel alone at different times in your life. From moving to a new school or job, to feeling disconnected from friends you’ve known for a long time, to losing a friend or loved one, going through a break up, fearing social rejection or recovering from an illness, the reasons vary for everyone.
What to do when you feel lonely
It’s important to remember that you are not alone, even if you feel like you have no one to talk to.
Here are some tips for things you can do if you are feeling lonely:
- Text Shout to 85258 - our volunteers are here to listen and support you, in confidence and without judgement.
- Listen to a podcast or audio book where the hosts of characters are in conversation with each other.
- Join an online book club or a meet-up group around a topic that interests you. Connecting with other people through things you enjoy can be a great way to feel less alone.
- Sign up for an online course.
- Write letters or postcards to friends and family. Or even just send a text to check in.
- Spend time in a public place around other people, such as a park.
- Got a pet? Studies show that our furry friends can be a great motivator and have a positive impact on our mental and physical wellbeing and can make us feel valued and needed.
Feeling lonely or know someone who is? Our volunteers are available 24/7 to listen and support you.
Text SHOUT to 85258 to start a conversation today.