What is Shout?
Shout is the UK’s first free 24/7 direct messaging service for anyone in crisis anytime, anywhere.
This service already exists in the US as ‘Crisis Text Line’, but this is the first time this tried and tested technology has come to the UK. Shout is powered by a team of volunteers who are at the heart of this service. We take people from crisis to calm every day of the week.
There aren’t many places to go if you’re struggling, day or night, and you need someone to help you in that moment.
The anonymised data we collate will give us unique insights into mental health trends to help improve people’s lives.
Shout goes live in 2019. For now, we’re piloting the service via charity partners. We are looking for volunteers to join us now to launch the service, so please do sign up, we’d love to hear from you.
Volunteer with us
This is a completely new type of volunteering.
- Have an impact on people’s lives and make a difference by resolving crises
- Learn communication, problem solving and crisis management skills – recognised by employers, unis and colleges as essential skills
- Get a buzz from being part of a pioneering team and enjoy perks and team events
- Volunteer the way you want – from home in your p.j’s, in the office or with a group of friends
- Access ongoing professional development with a dedicated Coach
- Be resilient and mentally robust to help people in distress
- Commit to 25 hours of online training and then fulfil 200 total hours of volunteering; that’s 2 – 4 hours volunteering per week
- Have empathy, but be able to be objective
- Put your own personal views to one side to help the texter
- Have a secure web connection and a laptop/computer
Give us a shout
We’d love to hear from you.
There are many ways you can help us launch this ground-breaking service in the UK:
Your team can be part of this change. We’re talking to organisations across the UK to find the best volunteers. From supporting volunteering, to providing funding or organising events, there are many ways your company can help
Corporates and organisations
We know that our volunteers gain communication, crisis management and problem-solving skills. It makes them work smarter and helps them in their personal lives.
We’ll provide: 25 hours of free online training all under clinical supervision. Our volunteers give: 2 to 4 hours per week of online volunteering at any time of the day or night – from the office, or at home in their own time. All they need is a secure internet connection.
Our partners range from multinational companies and universities through to campaigning organisations. We’re all passionate about changing the face of volunteering.
If you have any questions or would like more information you can email us at email@example.com