It's a tough time for students at the moment. From moving away from home for the first time, to feeling isolated, to the Covid-19 pandemic placing restrictions on university life, we know things don't feel normal.
If you're struggling right now, it's important to remember that your feelings are valid.
We have put together some tips to help you through this difficult period:
- Take the pressure off. We are all dealing with a lot of stress during this time and it’s okay if you aren’t accomplishing as much as you would like. Practise gratitude towards yourself for all you are managing right now.
- Spark Joy. A study from the British Academy of Sound Therapy found that 9 minutes of music is all you need to inspire joy. Try putting on music while you study and take note of how different music impacts your mood.
- Move your body. Exercise is great for the mind as well as the body. If you are self-isolating, consider trying an online workout regime, or start small by stretching for 5 minutes, doing 5 star jumps every time you wash your hands, walking around your room if you’re feeling overwhelmed, or taking 2 minute dance breaks throughout your day.
- Take a break from the news. During a global pandemic we all experience a loss of control. Experiment with how much consuming the news helps you feel in control and informed vs. overwhelmed and hopeless. Find your most helpful dosage and set limits.
- Do something nice for others. Consider offering support to friends, family, and neighbours through texts, calls, video chatting and letter writing. When you offer support to others you’ll notice you feel a sense of purpose and connection.
- Establish a regular bedtime routine. The amount of regular sleep you are getting can directly affect your mental health. Establishing a regular nightly routine can help the body recognise that it is bedtime and improve the quality of your sleep.
And if you are struggling to cope, you can always text SHOUT to 85258 to speak to a trained, empathetic volunteer. Our service is free, confidential and available 24/7.